Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Pepin



Last weekend was fun time in Pepin. To begin with, the weather was perfect: a sunny, early-autumn day.

Unlike the last few events I’ve been at, which were either for Eastern Star or, if Little House-related, featured cast of the television show, Laura Days in Pepin was all about family fun.
It was the first place I’ve been to that almost every single girl - along with many women - were dressed as Laura (or Mary, Ma or Nellie), and there were many boys and even a few men in period dress as well.
Some of the events included old fashioned spelling bees, Laura contests, square dancing, and a fiddle contest. Although I was set up selling books, my booth was near enough the main stage to hear all the action, so I got to enjoy the festivities more than I thought I would.

I made sure to take a break in time for Sarah Sue Utoff’s “In the Kitchen with Laura” presentation. I’ve enjoyed her posts on this subject, and it was a real treat to see her in action. I was enjoying it so much that I forgot to take a picture!

Saturday (Sep. 20) I’ll be signing my book in Mansfield, MO for Wilder Days. Come by the Mansfield Area Historical Society on the square and say hello!


No comments: